Maintaining the treated surface
Acting as an invisible shield, the EnduroShield® coating bonds to the substrate and helps protect against dirt, grime and soap scum, and also from staining, etching or discoloring. EnduroShield repels both water (hydrophobic) and oil (oleophobic) leaving an easy to clean surface that is very similar to a non stick fry pan. The coating does not change the look or finish of the surface, it just keeps it looking as good as the day it was treated. Cleaning time is reduced, and the surface won’t deteriorate over its life like untreated surfaces. There are no specific after care products to purchase to maintain the coating, saving you time and money.
Depending on local conditions and minerals content, please follow the below cleaning guide to keep protected glass clean, and for removing buildup from the coated surface.
Interior Glass such as shower glass
Once a week or as needed for build-up, wipe down the glass with a microfiber cloth dampened with white vinegar and a drop of non-abrasive liquid soap (hand, body, or dish). Rinse and dry.
Tip: For best results, wipe down the glass after each use with a good-quality squeegee. This will reduce mineral spotting, keeping the glass cleaner between cleans.
Clean as needed with a mild detergent and water using a t-bar mop assembly and squeegee. For light buildup wipe down the glass with a microfibre cloth dampened with white vinegar and a drop of non-abrasive liquid soap (hand, body, or dish). Rinse and dry.
Tip: For best results, clean the glass when covered with shade to prevent streaking. In areas prone to salt build-up or dust build-up, rinse off excess contaminants with fresh water before cleaning.
Tile & grout
Clean shower tiles and grout each week. Other tiles such as backsplashes and floor tiles can be cleaned as required. Use diluted white vinegar and/or a mild detergent with a damp microfiber cloth to remove soap scum and grime from the tiled surface.
Stainless steel & chrome
General cleaning of interior stainless steel and chrome treated surfaces can be done with warm water and a microfiber cloth, then allowed to dry. For tougher stains use with a mild detergent or an all purpose spray-on cleaner and then buff dry. Exterior surfaces should be cleaned with warm soapy water and a microfiber cloth, then rinsed with fresh water. For best results rub in the direction of the grain.
What to avoid
Note: These may damage the treatment and void any warranty
- Abrasives including water spot removers, toothpaste, polishes, Norwex Cloths, rough, or gritty substances
- Acids or Alkalis that you would not want in contact for your skin for an extended period of time
- Cleaners that include Sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl), bleach, tilex or anything with sodium hydroxide should not be used on your shower glass.
- Harsh or chemical cleaners. With correct maintenance, these are not required.
Acceptable cleaning products
While all that should be needed to keep the glass looking clean are a squeegee, good quality mild liquid soap, and white vinegar, occasionally we are asked to recommend specific products. Some major brand cleaners are listed below, but keep in mind they should not be necessary, and often have very limited benefits in removing either soap or mineral buildup.
- SprayWayⓇ (or other alcohol-based foaming cleaners)
- Scrubbing BubblesⓇ (or other automatic leave-to-dry daily shower cleaners)
- 7th GenerationⓇ, DawnⓇ (or other mild eco-friendly cleaners)
- CLRⓇ (Calcium Lime Rust)
- Mr. Clean Magic EraserⓇ (when damp)
- WindexⓇ (Standard, vinegar, alcohol, ammonia)
It should be noted that with any cleaner used on the EnduroShield surface a thorough rinse with clean water should follow immediately. Although these cleaners can be used instead of the suggested maintenance, EnduroShield is designed to be an ‘easy clean coating’ which requires only vinegar and/or a mild detergent that does not contain harsh or toxic chemicals to maintain the surface effectively.
Wes recommend Oxo good grips, Ettore or Pulux branded squeegees due to the high quality rubber balde.
Hard water areas
In hard water areas, or areas where water drops dry and leave a noticeable dust mark, a build of minerals may occur on the protective treatment.
• Light buildup: spray undiluted white vinegar on the glass and allow to remain for several minutes. Spray again and firmly wipe down the glass with a microfiber, rinse, and dry. Repeat as needed until the glass is clean
• Moderate to Heavy buildup: Spray undiluted white vinegar on the glass and allow to soak for several minutes. Dampen a Magic EraserⓇ or other melamine cleaning pad with vinegar, and wipe down the glass with light to moderate pressure. Repeat as needed with more vinegar until the glass is clean
• Extreme buildup: Dampen a Magic EraserⓇ or other melamine cleaning pad with undiluted CLRⓇ (Calcium Lime Rust remover) and a drop of liquid soap. Rub with light to moderate pressure for a few minutes, squeeze out the pad, and repeat with more CLRⓇ. Rinse and dry the glass to inspect, and repeat as needed until the glass is clean.
Important: Keep in mind that as the vinegar or CLRⓇ are dissolving mineral buildup they become less effective. It is beneficial to squeeze out and dampen every few minutes for best effect.
Once ALL buildup has been removed, the water should again bead into tall, round drops on the clean surface.
Tip for extreme hard water areas
Around the world there are some unique locations which have extremely harsh conditions. In some cases stubborn stains can occur in under 1 year. New Orleans, Louisiana and Perth, Western Australia are examples of cities with very high mineral concentrations. In these harshest of water environments, EnduroShield is a great choice. Without the protection of EnduroShield, your glass may have to be replaced or professionally restored.
EnduroShield allows you to have great looking glass, but it takes a little more work due to these specific environmental conditions. In such conditions, minerals are so prevalent in the water that they can still create a build up on top of the coating and become difficult to remove. We recommended using the vinegar / water solution (listed above) every week or so as a cleaning option to reduce this build up on the surface, rather than allowing the build up to accumulate over a long period of time.
GOT A QUESTION?
Our team would love to help you with any questions you may have.